Skip to main content
Start main content
TPG Studies

Information for Non-local Students

Student Services


Supporting Units


Hong Kong Identity Card


According to Cap. 177A REGISTRATION OF PERSONS REGULATIONS, anyone who intends to stay in Hong Kong for a period exceeding 180 days is required to apply for a Hong Kong Identity (HKID) Card from the Immigration Department of the HKSAR Government within 30 days of arrival. The law of Hong Kong requires that official personal identification be carried at all times. 


To obtain a HKID Card, you must apply in person at any of the Registration of Persons Offices, Immigration Department. Office address, working hours and the 24-hour appointment booking services can be found at


After you have obtained your HKID Card, you should upload a photocopy of the HKID card to the University Student Visa Application System within your study period. Please note that the official academic records carry your HKID number. Without such information, the University will not issue any official academic records to you.



Student Visa Extension


If you are recommended by your Programme to extend your study period, the Taught Postgraduate Studies Section shall issue an official letter for you to apply for student visa extension with the Immigration Department of the HKSAR Government.



Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG)


Non-local students who have obtained an undergraduate or higher qualification in a full-time and locally-accredited local programme in the HKSAR are eligible to apply for the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG) visa with the Immigration Department. For details, please visit:


Students may apply for IANG visa upon their fulfillment of the graduation requirements or after the graduation is approved by the Senate. Upon the Senate’s approval, students will be given a Graduation Letter, which is an important proof of your application for IANG visa.


If you have lost your Graduation Letter, you may apply for a testimonial. For details, please visit HERE.