A student who misses an examination because of extenuating circumstances such as illness, injury or other personal emergencies may apply with supporting document(s) for a make-up examination. In case of illness or injury, the application should include a medical certificate recommending for sick leave on the date of the missed examination by a qualified medical practitioner.
The following situations would normally not be considered:
- Elective surgery scheduled to be held on an examination day
- Public examinations such as HKDSE Examination, TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc., held on an examination day
- Having forgotten or misread the examination schedule
Applications should be made within 5 working days (for Semesters 1 and 2) or 1 working day (for Summer Programme) after the missed examination.
- The procedures and arrangements shown below are only applicable to face-to-face examinations arranged by the Academic Registry.
- For examinations arranged by academic departments and online examinations, if students wish to apply for make-up examination(s), please contact the course instructor directly.
- A student who wishes to apply for make-up examination may submit an application together with supporting document(s) via the Online Form System in BUniPort.
- In case of illness or injury, the student must upload a medical certificate issued by a qualified medical practitioner recommending for sick leave on the date of the missed examination at the time the application is submitted.
- The submitted application will first be checked by the Academic Registry. The student may be required to submit original copy of the supporting document(s) to the service counter of the Academic Registry for verification of authenticity. If this is necessary, the student will be notified by an email to do so within 3 working days from the date of the notification email. Please therefore watch out for any notification email after the application is submitted. If original copy is required but the student is unable to provide it by the said deadline, the application will not be processed.
- After checking, the application will be forwarded to the relevant course instructor(s) for endorsement and the Academic Registrar for final approval.
- The student will be notified via email of the application result by early January (for Semester 1) and by early June (for Semester 2).
Examination Timetable and Arrangements
- Make-up examination timetable for Semesters 1 and 2 will be announced via the BUniPort ("My Examination Timetable") about 1 week before the make-up examination period stated on the Academic Calendar. Students should login BUniPort to check the details themselves.
- No other arrangements will be made if a student is unable to attend the make-up examination.
- For details, please refer to the General Regulations for Make-up Examination.