Leave of Absence
2021/22 academic year and before
- Leave of Absence refers to the leave granted to students due to participation in internship/placement or self-arranged overseas studies.
- Suspension of Studies refers to the leave initiated by students due to health problems, urgent family affairs or other circumstances as deemed acceptable by the student's Department/Programme.
2022/23 academic year onwards
A new set of regulations has been implemented:
- Leave of Absence refers to all types of leave initiated by and granted to students for reasons such as internship/placement, self-arranged overseas studies, health problems or urgent family affairs.
- Suspension of Studies refers only to the disciplinary sanction imposed on students by the University.
- Students may be permitted to take leave of absence from their studies in cases of health problems, study-related placement, or other circumstances as deemed acceptable by the student’s programme.
- Students who wish to take leave of absence should apply via BUniPort by the deadline stipulated by the Academic Registry:
For health problems or other circumstances as deemed acceptable by the student's Department/Programme Application should be made at least 4 weeks before the commencement of the semester final examination. For study-related internship/placement
Application should be made in advance before the start of the leave period.
The Academic Registrar will consult with the Department Head/Programme Director before making a decision. A leave period up to 2 semesters may be granted for each application approved. For further extension of the leave period, a new application has to be made before the expiration of the leave period.
- The Academic Registry will inform the student of the application result. If the application is approved, the student will be notified of the approved period of leave of absence.
- Upon expiration of the leave period, students must resume studies. For leave of absence approved on medical grounds, a medical document certifying that the student is fit for study may be required before the student is allowed to resume studies.