All undergraduate students are required to participate in a Course Pre-registration exercise every semester to select elective courses for which they will register.
The Course Pre-registration exercise is conducted twice a year (once in each semester) in late July and mid-November. The exact dates and the assigned timeslots will be announced via email nearer the time. Normally, Course Pre-registration results are released in late August and late December each year.
Students who fail to complete the Course Pre-registration exercise on time can only complete the course registration during the add/drop period after classes have begun. However, it should be noted that many courses will be full and thus not available for registration by that time.
The priority in assigning courses to students is set according to the students' year of study, course types and the academic departments' special instructions, if any. The priority of different course types is listed as follows:
- Core courses (those NOT assigned but require students to choose during the Course Pre-registration exercise)
- Major electives
- University core/GE courses (i.e. GE Distribution/Foundational/Interdisciplinary Thematic courses/GE Capstone)
- Free electives
Details of Course Pre-registration exercise are available at BUniPort.
Undergraduate students are required to participate in a Course Pre-registration exercise every semester to indicate their preferences of elective courses.
- The Academic Registry releases class timetable (2 semesters) for the following academic year in July. Students should check the timetable at BUniPort under Course Information.
- Students will be informed via email before the exercise. Students will be assigned a timeslot for completing the Course Pre-registration exercise. The assigned timeslot can be checked under the "Pre-registration" page at BUniPort.
- The required courses have been assigned to students, including the failed courses. Students should check and inform the Academic Registry if there is any discrepancy with their record.
- During the assigned pre-registration timeslots, students may (i) indicate their preferences of elective courses provided they meet the course requirements with no time clash on their timetable; and/or (ii) change the section of the required course(s) already assigned if there is time clash between the preferred elective course(s) and the required course(s). Changes of section for required courses (but NOT the preferences for elective courses) is on a first-come-first-served basis. Input and modification of course preference must be completed within the timeslot assigned.
- The courses will be assigned according to priority. No guarantee of seats can be made due to limited class quota.
- The priority in assigning courses to students is set according to the students' year of study, course types and the academic departments' special instructions, if any. The priority of different course types is listed as follows:
(i) Core courses (those not assigned but require students to register on their own)
(ii) Major electives
(iii) GE courses (e.g. both GE core and GE distribution requirement)
(iv) Free electives
During the course assignment process, course enrolment record and individual timetable in the BUniport will be temporarily suspended. An email notification will be sent to students when the results of Course Pre-Registration Exercise are released.
- Students who fail to complete the exercise can only complete the course registration during the course add/drop period. However, it should be noted that many courses will be full and not available for registration by that time.