Examinations and Grades
1. Students are not allowed to sit for an examination if they:
(a) have not completed the proper course/section enrolment procedures; or
(b) have not satisfied attendance requirements because of excessive absences from class; or
(c) have not settled any fees due to the University.
2. Students should read the examination timetable carefully and take note of the date, time and venue of the examinations.
Having forgotten or misread the examination timetable is normally not an excuse to apply for make-up examinations.
3. Students should arrive at the examination venue at least 10 minutes before the scheduled time of the examination. Once
they are admitted into the examination venue, they should sit in accordance with the seat number assigned to them.
4. Students will not be allowed to enter the examination venue after the first 30 minutes of the examination.
5. Students are not allowed to leave the examination venue after they are admitted into the examination venue (except with the
permission of the Chief Invigilator), during the first 30 minutes after the examination has started, and the last 15 minutes of
6. Students should bring their Student Card (or HKID Card), which should be displayed at the top right-hand corner of the desk
throughout the examination. Students without any such identification may not be allowed to sit for the examination.
7. Before entering the examination venue, students should make sure that unauthorized articles/items (e.g. books, manuscripts,
notes, paper and all kinds of electronic/communication devices such as mobile phones, iPod, MP3 players, electronic
dictionaries, databank watches) are taken out from their pockets and placed inside their bags. Mobile phones/electronic
devices must be turned off.
8. Once they have entered the examination venue, students should place their bags under their seats immediately. Students
should, before entering the examination venue, make sure that no unauthorized articles/items are placed in their pockets or
on the body. They should also make sure that no unauthorized articles/items are put on the desk unless prior approval is
given by the Chief Invigilator.
9. No pencil case/box should be placed on the desk. Students who bring a pencil case/box must place the stationery on the
desk and put the pencil case/box under the seat.
10. Students must not turn over the pages of the examination question paper and must not start working until they are instructed
to do so.
11. Students should remain absolutely silent once they enter the examination venue. They must not talk to or disturb other
students. If they have questions, they should put up their hands and wait patiently for an invigilator.
12. Students who wish to leave the examination venue temporarily during an examination session should:
(a) raise hand and wait for an invigilator;
(b) leave only with the approval of the invigilator.
Before leaving the venue, the invigilator has the right to check whether the student has placed any unauthorized
articles/items in his/her pocket(s).
13. Students who have completed their examination and wish to leave the venue early during an examination session should:
(a) first check the answer book(s) and papers that they bear their names, student numbers, course code and section
number (even if no attempt has been made to answer any questions);
(b) raise hand and wait for an invigilator;
(c) leave only with the approval of the invigilator.
14. At the end of the examination, students should:
(a) promptly stop writing, put their pens down at once, remain seated and wait silently until the invigilator has collected
all answer books.
(b) leave only when the chief invigilator tells them to do so;
(c) not remove anything from the examination venue except personal belongings and the question papers (if allowed).
15. Students have the sole responsibility to ensure that the examination regulations are observed and complied with. Students
who are found to have breached any of the examination regulations will be subject to penalty or disqualification.
16. A student who has committed any of the following offences is subject to receiving an "F" grade for the course:
(a) Copying other students' work or any form of cheating inside or outside the examination venue;
(b) Having unauthorized articles/items on the examination desk, in the pockets or on his/her body after entering the
examination venue and during the examination session;
(c) Removing articles/items other than personal belongings from the examination venue;
(d) Leaving the examination venue without permission;
(e) Disobeying instructions of an invigilator.
In addition, such cases of breaching examination regulations will normally be submitted to the Student Affairs Committee
for further disciplinary action.
17. A student who is absent from an examination without an acceptable reason and proper documentation evidence will receive
zero mark for that examination.
General Regulations for Higher Diploma Programmes